  From: Heidi Estrin
  To: hasafran@lists.service.ohio-state.edu
  Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2013 10:02 AM
  Subject: [ha-Safran] synagogue library budget question

  I am posting this question on behalf of Lynn Waghalter, librarian at
Congregation Agudas Achim in San Antonio, TX. She would like to know what is an
average synagogue library budget, for materials and for librarian salary.
Please respond to the list with any info about the size and budget of your own
synagogue library so Lynn can get an idea of what's "normal." Her original
message to me is below. Thanks! Heidi Estrin, AJL President

  "Hi, I am an AJL member. I am a synagogue librarian-I service the religious
school, a pre-school, as well as the synagogue membership. We have a BEAUTIFUL
library. The synagogue I work in has approx. 500 member families. My problem is
that the synagogue board only has dollar signs in their eyes. They want the
library budget to be $2,500 per year! My salary is $10.40 per hour. I work 3
days a week there. I would like to know what is the average synagogue library
budget for other synagogues of comparable size? Can you help me? Thank you,
Lynn Waghalter"