From: hasafran-boun...@lists.service.ohio-state.edu
[mailto:hasafran-boun...@lists.service.ohio-state.edu] On Behalf Of Amanda
Seigel
Sent: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 2:21 PM
To: pst...@library.umass.edu; hasafran@lists.service.ohio-state.edu
Subject: [ha-Safran] Subject: Archive for Yiddish papers?

Dear Safranim,

I'm writing in response to Peter Stern's question about Yiddish newspaper
indices. There is no index to the American Yiddish press, unfortunately, and
the newspapers are largely on microfilm, not digitized. For European Yiddish
periodicals there is the excellent "Index of Yiddish Periodicals" from the
Jewish National and University Library (Jerusalem).

What the student can do is look for key events (strikes, laws, etc.) in labor
history and then check the Yiddish press for those dates. Another strategy is
to look at secondary sources and check the bibliography for specific article
citations. Without being able to read Yiddish, though, it is better to stick to
English sources and/or to get a Yiddish reader to help out. There may also be
books in English that contain primary sources together with the translations.
The Bintel Brief is a great resource, but does not provide the exact original
date of publication for the letters. Another primary source is interviews with
people who personally experienced the labor movement.

The Yiddish Book Center may have classes available in your area, and there are
other Yiddish learning opportunities such as the summer programs at YIVO/Bard,
Vilna, and Tel Aviv for starters.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Amanda
--
Amanda (Miryem-Khaye) Seigel
Librarian

Reference Desk: 212-930-0601
Fax: 212-642-0141
Email: amandasei...@nypl.org<mailto:amandasei...@nypl.org>
Website: http://www.nypl.org/locations/schwarzman/jewish-division
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DorotJewishDivisionNewYorkPublicLibrary

Peter Stern, Ph.D.
Humanities and Fine Arts Research Services Librarian
Du Bois Library
University of Massachusetts
154 Hicks Way, Amherst MA 01003-9275
413-545-3967/413 577-1536 (fax)