As mush as I Know the author is a man Matthew Lopez. The two slaves, who remain
in the house after the family disappeared thought that the son was killed in
the war. When he returns the slave says the blessing thanking  God who
resurrects the dead Mehayeh hamaiteem.   Later, in order to help the soldier
regain his faith they are trying to make a Seder. With no dishes or food they
do what they can.
So, sorry, Alex, I disagree with you about the author. The Torah laws on
slavery, as you write below, may  be right, but, it has nothing to do with the
situation of slaves in the South a day after Lincoln  was assassinated.
Amalia

Sent from my iPad