I agree with Janice Lieberman.

Speaking of prediction-type stories,

        * While Standing on One Foot: Puzzle Stories and Wisdom Tales from the
Jewish Tradition byNina Jaffe,
        * Brainteasers from Jewish Folklore by Rosalind Charney Kaye, and

        * a series of books by George Shannon include Jewish folktales along
with folklore from other traditions
all give the listener/reader a chance to guess something before the solution is
revealed.

The Hungry Clothes and Other Jewish Folktales (Folktales of the World) by
Penina Schram has some good stories.
And lots of picture books have stories that are much more meaningful to older
children and even adults.
Try book-talking a few related books or reading a few versions of the same
folktale and asking them to compare, contrast, and say which ones they like
most or least.
For example, stories related to Rabbi Nachman's "The Treasure" appear in at
least three books:

        * The Treasure by Uri Shulevitz

        * Captain Jiri and Rabbi Isaac by Marilyn Hirsh (Two guardian angels
mix up their tasks and tell the wrong
person where to find treasure. Usually the guard who tells the poor man
about his own dream gets no reward. Although in Shulevitz's The Treasure, he is
sent a jewel. In this story, Captain Jiri and Rabbi Isaac maintain their
friendship and help each other's followers.)

        * The Pedlar of Swaffham by Kevin Crossley-Holland (A man dreams,
travels to London, talks to a guard, returns home, digs more than once, becomes
very rich and donates money to restore part of his local church in Swaffham,
Norfolk, which has two pews with
carvings that seem to memorialize him. The church is real; the story
seems to be about a real person, although the story itself is
described as a legend.)
Rose Myers
Fairfield, CT
Stories are how we make sense of the world.