Eva Goldschmidt Wyman. ESCAPING HITLER: A JEWISH HAVEN IN CHILE
  Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your
browser<http://us4.campaign-archive1.com/?u=f69c18f23e79a1b7dc8f80d21&id=57c50afd96&e=[UNIQID]>.

             *ESCAPING HITLER: A JEWISH HAVEN IN CHILE*
A New Work by Eva Goldschmidt Wyman

Friends--

I'm happy to let you know that my mother's new book, *Escaping Hitler, A
Jewish Haven in Chile,* published by the University of Alabama Press, is
now available.

In *Escaping Hitler, *my mother*,* Eva Goldschmidt Wyman, tells her
family's story, and that of thousand of others, who escaped from Nazi
Germany to Chile in the 1930s and 1940s, a time when the Chilean Nazi party
was active in Chile's major institutions.

The book is based primarily on interviews with German Jewish refugees,
family correspondence, and research in German and Chilean primary sources
from the period. It begins with an intimate account of Jews in Germany in
the 1930s as conditions for Jews deteriorated.

My mother recounts *Kristallnacht* in Stuttgart, where her father was
principal of the Jewish school, his imprisonment in Dachau, and his release
and immigration to Great Britain. *Escaping Hitler* details our family’s
escape from Nazi Germany and subsequent life in Chile, providing an
intimate look at daily life on the steam ship *Conte Grande* during the
voyage from Italy to Chile in 1939, as well as Nazi espionage and
anti-Semitic activity in Chile and the Nazi influence in South America in
general.

Recounted in an intimate and personal style, *Escaping Hitler* immerses the
reader in an extraordinary chapter of contemporary Jewish history both
inside Germany and South America. It is an augmented translation of her
earlier work in Spanish, *Huyendo del Infierno Nazi: La Inmigración
Judio-Alemana hacia Chile en los Años Treinta *(Santiago, RIL, 2008).

“*Escaping Hitler* brings new material to the English speaking audience and
as such is a contribution to Holocaust history. It is a fascinating and
informative read presenting a well-researched and well-documented story of
German Jewish refugees in Chile and their complicated encounters with
German and Nazi immigrants.”—Steven B. Bowman, author of *The Jews of
Byzantium, 1204–1453*.

Please order* Escaping Hitler, A Jewish Haven in Chile* today from your
jobber, local independent bookstore, or favorite online chain.

For other works in Holocaust and Jewish Studies, please browse our online
stock of over 12,000 related titles at
danwymanbooks.com<http://danwymanbooks.com/searchpage.php>
.

 Product Details

   - ISBN-13: 9780817318000
   - Publisher: University of Alabama Press
   - Publication date: 7/26/2013
   - Pages: 232
   - Product dimensions: Hardbound. 5.90 (w) x 9.10 (h) x 1.00 (d)

*Eva Goldschmidt Wyman* was born in 1934 in Stuttgart, Germany, and
emigrated to Chile in 1939 and to the United States in 1965. She earned an
MA in Latin American and Spanish Literature from the University of
Washington, Seattle. Her publications include, *Los Poetas y El General:
Voces de oposición en Chile bajo Augusto Pinochet, 1973–1989 / The Poets
and the General: Chile's Voices of Dissent under Augusto Pinochet,
1973–1989; Huyendo del Infierno Nazi: La inmigración judio-alemana hacia
Chile en los años treinta.*
Dan Wyman Books LLC. www.DanWymanBooks.com
1250 Metropolitan Ave Brooklyn, NY 11237 (Yellow Awning)
Search at www.danwymanbooks.com/searchpage.php
Browsing by Appointment
Receive our catalogs at www.eepurl.com/iWoVD
d...@danwymanbooks.com v: 718.963.0410