Shalom--

I've been hearing similar comments for many many years on this question.  It is
troublesome to read and hear but librarianship has been adapting and I think
our colleagues have given honest evaluations and some excellent advice.

Here's something that may be encouraging - another positive well-respected Pew
Report.  I think that some of what is apropos for public libraries may apply to
our libraries of Judaica too. We can continue to adapt our programs to serve
our audiences' needs.

I read a short summary of this first in the Los Angeles Times (print edition)
on December 12.  (The online edition here is more detailed.)

Source:  LOS ANGELES TIMES
Dated:  December 11, 2013
95% OF AMERICANS FIND LIBRARIES 'IMPORTANT,' PEW REPORTS

http://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-et-jc-95-percent-of-americans-find-libraries-important-pew-reports-20131211,0,4835449.story#axzz2nQPxZsRg

===================

Here is the original article:

Source:  PEW INTERNET & AMERICAN LIFE PROJECT
Released:  December 11, 2013
HOW AMERICANS VALUE PUBLIC LIBRARIES IN THEIR COMMUNITIES

http://libraries.pewinternet.org/2013/12/11/libraries-in-communities/

Barbara

Barbara Y. Leff, MLS
(Jewish synagogue/school Library Director 27 years - retired 1996)
Encino, CA 91316
byl...@socal.rr.com