Dear Colleagues,

I'm bringing to your attention this recently (privately) published memoir:
From Protest to Resistance, by Lilli Segal. Dog Ear Publishing, 2012. $14.95. Available from Amazon and as an e-book. ISBN-13: 978-1457510403. Details: http://dogearpublishing.net/wordpress/index.php/2012/11/from-protest-to-resistance-by-lilli-segal/

From the publisher's announcement:
"It reads like a mystery thriller as she recounts her remarkable life, beginning with her childhood during the rise of Fascism and her education in Switzerland and France. Then recounting her participation in the French Resistance, imprisonment in French jails, deportation to Auschwitz, her escape to freedom through war torn Germany and finally, her reunion with her husband and return to work as
acclaimed scientists."

The memoir first appeared in Germany in 1986 and has been translated at the initiative of the author's niece, Margo Kaufman, of Sacramento, California. On a personal note, I met Lilli Segal when I first visited Berlin -- East Berlin (where she resided) -- in 1977. She was a most generous guide to her half of the then-divided city.

Zachary

--
Zachary M. Baker
Stanford University Libraries