Could it be this story of the Baal Shem Tov?

A Story

Whenever the Jews were threatened with disaster, the Baal Shem Tov would go to
a certain place in the forest, light a fire, and say a special prayer. Always a
miracle would occur, and the disaster would be averted.

In the later times when disaster threatened, the Maggid of Mezritch, his
disciple, would go to the same place in the forest and say, "Master of the
Universe, I do not know how to light the fire, but I can say the prayer." And
again the disaster would be averted.

Still later, his disciple, Moshe Leib of Sasov, would go to the same place in
the forest and say, "Lord of the World, I do not know how to light the fire or
say the prayer, but I know the place and that must suffice." And it always did.

When Israel of Rizhyn needed intervention from heaven, he would say to G-d, "I
no longer know the place, nor how to light the fire, nor to say the prayer, but
I can tell the story and that must suffice." . . . And it did.

Remember the story, tell it, pass it on.

found on www.jewishstorytelling.org<http://www.jewishstorytelling.org>

AileenGrossberg

Jacobs Library

Oheb Shalom Congregation