Hi Haim

It depends on your romanization scheme.  LC's romanization system does not
recognize the sheva merahef, though one can easily imagine that there are
libraries out there using alternative schemes.  If your library does in
fact follow LC/PCC, then "bi-khelal" would be the "correct" option.

The best source for divining LC's will (if one is so inclined) is Hebraica
Cataloging by Paul Maher.  Solutions may be found there, though there is no
promise that said solutions will be satisfying.

Hope that helps

Bob

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 8:44 AM, Haim A Gottschalk <haimpi...@yahoo.com>wrote:

> Dear Safranim,
>
> I am cataloging a Hebrew book hat has the word בכלל in the title.  The ב
> takes a hirik and the כ keeps the shva.  This shva becomes a shva merachef.
> My question is:  in romanizing this word should it be bikhlal or
> bi-khelal?  My inclination is towards the former, since I've been taught
> that the shva merachef is not a real (vocalized) shva.
>
> Thank you and Hodsh tov,
> Haim
>
> __
> Messages and opinions expressed on Hasafran are those of the individual
> author
> and are not necessarily endorsed by the Association of Jewish Libraries
> (AJL)
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/hasafran%40lists.service.ohio-state.edu/maillist.html
> Earlier Listserver:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/hasafran%40lists.acs.ohio-state.edu/maillist.html