Hi Susan,

Two chesed activities come to mind that may applicable.  The first is
the  African
Library Project <http://www.africanlibraryproject.org/>.   Several years
ago I worked with a group of students who wanted to do a book drive.  Using
the structure and guidelines provided by the Africa Library Project, we
gathered 1,000 books, raised $500 and created a library in a small
community center in Africa.  The project was very rewarding for the
students.  The second is tutoring.  The 8th grade students at our school
are trained by the Jewish Coalition for Literacy, a local group that
matches trained reading tutors with schools.  After their training they
serve as reading tutors once a week for 8 weeks in a local second grade
classroom.  Our students select age appropriate books to read with the
students from our library.

Robin Gluck, Librarian
Oakland Hebrew Day School

Robin Gluck