Upcoming Vote to Amend the AJL Constitution, Nov. 3-17, 2014

Members of AJL are asked to vote on 3 changes to our constitution. The vote
will take place online; members in good standing as of Sept. 30, 2014 will
receive an email message on November 3 with a link to an online ballot.  If
your email address has changed, please be sure to update it in your AJL
profile. For assistance or questions about your membership status, please
contact Sheryl Stahl at sst...@huc.edu.  If you do not receive a link to
the ballot on November 3, please contact Joy Kingsolver at
joy.kingsol...@gmail.com.  Voting will close at midnight, EST, on Nov. 17.

Explanation of the Proposed Changes

Our constitution was written in 1972, and we have often needed to make
adjustments to bring it up to date. Once again, this year we need to amend
it to reflect the way AJL carries out its mission. The changes we are
proposing fall into 3 categories:

1. The AJL Board and Council have traditionally met in December or January
for midwinter business meetings. These are important mid-year meetings
where updates are shared, progress on tasks is checked, and decisions are
made relating to the annual meeting in June. But these meetings have always
required expensive travel and hotel arrangements. We would like to take
advantage of technology that allows us to meet by phone or online in
virtual meetings. This would free up more of our resources to spend on our
core mission. This would not affect our annual conferences; we are still
committed to holding an annual meeting every year.

We must authorize our Board, our Council, and our committees to hold
virtual meetings between annual meetings, when needed. This requires
changes to the Constitution, Article V (Administration) and in the Bylaws,
Article II (Committees).

2. To give our leaders more flexibility in meeting their financial
commitments, we need to increase the amount that they are able to spend
above their budget lines, in an emergency.

This change occurs in our Bylaws, Art. V (Fiscal Policy).

3. Due to an oversight, the word “or” was omitted from Article V, Section 2
of the Constitution. Special meetings of the Board are called by the
president when needed, OR by petition of its members. This the the case for
special meetings of Council and of the Association as well. The omission of
the word “or” happened years ago, and wasn’t spotted until recently. This
change corrects the error.

Joy Kingsolver

AJL Parliamentarian

joy.kingsol...@gmail.com