I am a member of the Library Committee of Temple Beth El in Providence,
Rhode Island. We're a general collections and browsing library of around 10 -15
thousand volumes. Our library consist of children's books, young adult fiction
and non fiction, and adult fiction and non fiction. We're a Reform synagogue
and most of our collection is in English. Some of our material has been
cataloged using the Winnebago cataloging module. We never "migrated" to
Follett, although our former librarian continued to create cataloging records
and spine labels using Winnebago.

        The Committee is looking into OPALS web-based system for our online
public catalog and for cataloging, maintaining local holding records, and
circulation. The other system that we are considering is Library World.  We
would appreciate any input and suggestions you may have on these two systems:

                                Ease of implementation and usage. Is there a
heavy learning curve for one or the other system? What is the level of
technical expertise and skills needed for initial implementation? Once
implemented, is ongoing maintenance a smooth process, with few glitches?

                                Users reactions to the OPACs. Any suggestions
of online features and design that users found most useful. Useful links?

                                Cost. A tricky question. Any "ball park"
estimations of implementation cost and ongoing maintenance?

                                The test database. What features need to be
especially tested and / or questions that are most useful when planning for a
"test" database. What are the key questions we should be asking to the vendor
or issues to look into?

                                Vendor support. Is vendor support easily
available through e-mail, chats, or phone? How helpful are onsite vendors?

        And in summation: Once again, we'd appreciate all your suggestions and
thoughts of which system to choose … or can some one suggest another system? Is
there a "AJL" Committee or source of consultation for these questions? I'd
welcome all comments. I am the "contact" or "point person" for implementing the
system and along with Hasafran I can be reached at j...@cox.net.

                                        Thank you and hope to hear from many of
you

                                                        Joanna Katsune