Dear Ellen (and Esteemed Colleagues):

If you do not own a copy of Sharon Barcan Elswit's The Jewish Story Finder, run
and get one.  The 2012 edition includes 668 Tales that are listed by subject
and source.

In Elswit's 2009 edition, there is a list of several versions of "The Dream and
the Treasure," where a poor man dreams of a treasure.  He goes to seek it out,
and some kind of guard is there, who tells the man about HIS dream of a
treasure buried in a poor man's house.

Some Jewish versions:
The Dream - Nina Jaffe - The Mysterious Visitor
Reb Eisik's Treasure - Ellen Frankel - The Classic Tales
The Treasure - Uri Shulevitz
The Treasure - Howard Schwartz - Miriam's Tambourine

A Secular version:
Gimme Cracked Corn and I Will Share by Kevin O'Malley (Walker and Company, 2007)

For the "It Could Always Be Worse," I love using Too Much Noise by Ann McGovern.

Kol tuv,
Kathe Pinchuck
Past Chair, Sydney Taylor Book Award Committee
Association of Jewish Libraries