Shalom,
I was asked to post the message below from a qualified trained librarian.
Amalia Warshenbrot
Vice President, Association of Jewish Libraries
Phone: (704) 365-3313

Recently, my position as a synagogue librarian was all-but eliminated on the
argument that minimally-trained volunteers can do my job just as well as I can.
I don't know of any other field that seems so easily replaceable to
decision-makers. For example, our board would never consider replacing the
cantor with someone who just so happens to like to sing - let alone the
education director, rabbi, Etc. with hobbyists in those fields.

I believe that the library is going to suffer very much from this decision. But
mostly, the field as a whole is going to suffer. Real people are really trying
to make a living through their (that is, our) work as librarians. When we don't
stand up for the essential skills we offer, I believe that we undermine the
entire future of our status as a profession

I think it's important to get this sort of sentiment out there - even if, as
has been both of our experience, no one seems to be listening. At least that
way, with whatever else we lose - personally and professionally - we maintain
our voices . . . even if they have to remain anonymous.

(I am so glad for the various levels of support that AJL offers its members.
Being able to have this conversation is yet another example of that!)