Greetings, Toby,
The moral story which comes to mind first, with ripples of appropriateness
as Thanksgiving approaches are the many variants of The Grandfather Who Was
Thrown Out of the Sukkah from Barbara Rush's *Book of Jewish Women's Tale*s.
Other versions include:  The Boy Who Cut an Overcoat in Half by pnhas Sadeh
in Jewish Folktales, The Divided Cloak by Jaffe and Zeitlin in The Cow of
No Color, Filial Love by Ausubel in A Treasury of Jewish Folklore, The Half
Blanket in Schram, The Hungry Clothes, The Wooden Bowl by Rossel in
Essential Jewish Stories, and Schram's Three Generations in Jewish Stories
One Generation tells Another. Some are told more lightly than others.
Warmly,
Sharon