Shalom!

I saw this post about termites, so I emailed the woman who taught a webinar
on pest management in museum spaces. Below is her response:

Dear Jackie,

My first response in reading the query to the list is that the synagogue
should investigate replacing their pest control company! I will state
directly that I am not a pest control professional but having worked with
museums and library collections on IPM issues I can confirm that throwing
out an entire collection is not a reasonable response.  There are two
issues here: the treatment of an infested building and the treatment of the
library collections.  While the issues are clearly related, the responses
are not the same.  I will not offer solutions to how to deal with the
infested building as that is a difficult problem best left to an
experienced pest control company with a specialty in termite infestations.
The books can be saved although it will take some effort and funding to do
so properly.  It is important to also recognize that the books can be
treated but until the systemic building-wide infestation is dealt with,
returning the books to the library will leave them vulnerable to
reinfestation.

There is no detail provided in the query as to whether there is a
documented infestation in the books themselves or whether it was just
assumed.  The information on the www.museumpests.net site, while primarily
aimed at museums is also relevant to library and archive collections and so
some of the information there will be relevant in this case.  Some relevant
links are:

   - The site's solutions page with an introduction to the various types of
   treatments that are safe for library collections -
   http://museumpests.net/solutions/
   - Our monitoring page http://museumpests.net/monitoring-introduction/ has
   a link to a tips sheet on selecting a pest management professional. This
   might help you find a company which is more experienced in dealing with
   this issue.
   - They are welcome to join the free PestList listserv and post a query
   there as well  http://museumpests.net/join-the-pestlist/

The library collection can be boxed and then wrapped in polyethylene
plastic wrap with all seams tightly taped down.  This will protect the
books if they are not infested and prevent spread if some of them are.
Ideally they should be flipped through while boxing to determine if there
are signs of grazing, frass (excrement) or other activity.  With the books
boxed it buys some time to consider treatment options.  Freezing would be
safe for book and paper collections as well as parchment (if that happens
to also be in the library collection).  Information on that process is
available on the website and given the number of hurricanes and issues in
Florida I would assume that there is a document recovery company somewhere
that should be able to handle freezing of the boxes.  Renting a freezer
truck to run a treatment would also be an option if done before warmer
weather sets in.  Heat treatment of this material is also an option and it
is a shorter treatment.  Pest Control companies that deal with bed bug
infestations are often equipped to provide this type of option.  A low
oxygen method using CO2 or Nitrogen would also be safe but takes longer and
it may be harder to find a pest control company that provides this service.

An entrenched infestation is difficult problem but harder at the building
level.  The books can be saved and I hope that the community will be able
to find the hands to help with the boxing and moving and the funds to
provide for a proper treatment but that certainly seems more manageable
that rebuilding an entire collection.

Rachael Perkins Arenstein
A.M. Art Conservation, LLC
Conservation Treatment, Preservation Consulting & Collection Management
rach...@amartconservation.com
www.AMArtConservation.com <http://www.amartconservation.com/>

--
Jackie Ben-Efraim

*"Although the books had changed, I the reader had not." **Micha Yosef
Berdichevsky 1865-1921*

Special Collections Librarian
Ostrow Library
American Jewish University