I have a reference question I could use help with.  Someone in our community
has reached out to us who would like to buy books for a Jew who is in prison,
and would like suggestions of titles to purchase. The prisoner in question is a
Jamaican Jew who has requested Jewish adult ed materials. The request has been
quite broad (the original request was just for Jewish books). It has been
difficult to narrow it down- since we are not directly involved in the
conversation... the requestor and the prisoner are writing letters back and
forth and it takes about a month to get any clarification.

We sent a list of several possible Jewish topics, and received this itemized
list in response: "#1 Jewish History, #2 Philosophy, #3 theology, and #4
Traditional Jewish Living. But I really like "Philosophy."

All these categories are still rather broad, and suggestions for your favorites
in these topics would be appreciated. Probably not the classics, it sounds like
he's already read those... more current titles would probably be better.

I'm a librarian at a reform synagogue, and if anyone can help with "traditional
Jewish living" that would also be very appreciated.

**Also- the particular prison that he is at does not allow for hardcover books,
so any titles would have to be available in paperback.

Thank you so much for your help. It is greatly appreciated.
-Susan

Susan Kusel
Librarian
Temple Rodef Shalom