Shalom,

I wanted to share with you all the weath of information about collection
care available from the American Institute for Conservation which has
graciously invited AJL membership to share in their wealth of knowledge in
the fields of preservation and conservation.

First of all, check out the free webinars at
http://www.conservation-us.org/education/education/connecting-to-collections-care-webinars#.VtX-WvkrJMw
Although many of the webinars do not pertain to books, I found their
webinar on pest management invaluable. I have reduced the number of insects
in the rare book room by 90%!

There is the AIC Wiki (http://www.conservation-wiki.com/wiki/Main_Page)
which highlights among many topics information on Preventive Care,
Exhibition Standards & Guidelines, Environmental Guidelines, and
Mountmaking.

STASH - Storage Techniques for Art, Science, and History Collections (
http://stashc.com/) has come about from expanding the publication *Storage
of Natural History Collections: Ideas and Practical Solutions. *It was
recognized throughout the community that bringing this information on line
and expanding upon the content could serve a greater collection care
community. The third Stash Flash session will be held during this year's
Montreal meeting.

There is also a framework and template available for Collection Care
Information Exchange Discussions (
http://www.conservation-us.org/publications-resources/collection-care).
Practitioners in the field often know that the solution is probably out
there and reaching out to colleagues can help solve a myriad of problems.
The framework provides a checklist to bring about fruitful exchanges and
communicate the results across institutions.

On the horizon there are projects we are developing now that surely the AJL
can help to shape and participate in. One example is the collection care
title and competencies project. We are polling the collection care
community to find out what titles and job descriptions are in use. Many
titles are in use, using relatively the same words in them, but they don't
share the same role.

Another project is the Lexicon, a collaborative wiki (
http://www.conservation-wiki.com/wiki/Lexicon) that is geared to the
general public. The aim is to "produce an illustrated glossary of terms
related to condition and conservation processes."

AIC also has an annual meeting in Montreal. The program underscores the
importance and value of collaboration with their allied professionals like
those of us in AJL.he full line up can be found at (
http://www.conservation-us.org/annual-meeting/allied-professionals-track).

Don't let your collections deteriorate on your shelves, learn what you can
do to protect your library.

Kol tuv,

Jackie
--
Jackie Ben-Efraim

*"Although the books had changed, I the reader had not." **Micha Yosef
Berdichevsky 1865-1921*

Special Collections Librarian
Ostrow Library
American Jewish University