Dear Safrinim,

We meant to hold a meeting of AJL READS on Sunday to discuss the book, The
English Spy by Daniel Silva. Embarrassingly, both Debbie Feder and myself (the
discussion leaders) got distracted and forgot to call in! Also embarrassingly,
only two members showed up for the book club, both of whom were members of the
AJL board.

Maybe the failed meeting was a blessing in disguise, because it's causing me to
re-examine what we are doing and to ask for YOUR feedback.

Our goal with the book club was to give members a way to connect outside of
conference time, to build AJL's sense of community and exchange of ideas. But
turnout has been low, and the folks who call in are mostly "the usual suspects"
- people who are already somewhat involved in AJL activities. How can we make
it more interesting, more worthwhile, and easier for people to participate in?

We have been holding live discussions at 9pm eastern on a Sunday night. Is this
a bad time? Should we hold discussions by email or in some other way that
doesn't require showing up at a particular time?

In June at the conference in Charleston we will be discussing a librarianship
book, Biblio Tech: Why Libraries Matter More Than Ever in the Age of Google by
John Palfrey. Would librarianship books be of more interest to you than
fiction, generally speaking?

We've been doing our discussions by conference call. We considered methods like
Google Hangouts or Facebook but wanted to avoid making participants sign into
anything. What technique do YOU prefer for having a long distance book
discussion?

I would really value your feedback, everyone! Please email me at
he...@cbiboca.org<mailto:he...@cbiboca.org>.

Thanks,
Heidi Estrin

Listen to THE BOOK OF LIFE Podcast!