Yes, we got this as well, below:

Very warm greetings,

My name is Sam Mandel.  I recently came by your synagogue’s website and
have looked through it and I must say that I am very intrigued by the
historical significance of your synagogue. It seems that Massachusetts used
to be a very burgeoning Jewish community and to a large part has still
maintained a great deal of Jewish life as well as their beautifully built
synagogues. I have a great appreciation for these places of worship.

One of my biggest hobbies is visiting old synagogues and collecting old
Jewish books or “seforim” in Hebrew or English as well as old artifacts and
as such I have a collection at home of all these interesting books and
items that sometimes would not have been appreciated otherwise. I also
enjoy going through the synagogues' gnizas; the place where a synagogue
typically puts their old books that are not in good shape anymore.

I was wondering if there is a time we can meet at the synagogue and go
through what you have in the synagogue and in exchange for some of these
books give a very nice donation or perhaps replace the book with a newer
version to the synagogue to make it worth your time in the event I take
anything.

I can be reached via this email and my cell phone at 347-370-8115
<%28347%29%20370-8115> . Please let me know of your considerations of this.

I thank you in advance.

Sam Mandel

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 6:20 AM, Robin Zeitz <rize...@gmail.com> wrote:

> He contacted our congregation as well, actually communicating with our
> Temple's President
> ​, regarding our library and​
>  our genizah. We have a small collection, entirely administered by
> volunteers.
>
> I expressed a note of caution
> ​, indicating that I had heard of book dealers who sometimes fished for
> valuable items that might not be recognized by the owners​
> .
> ​Your communication makes me even more suspicious.​
>
> As we are entirely administered by volunteers, and have no time anyway, a
> polite letter was sent to him indicating that we couldn't accommodate him
> at this time.
>
> Regarding books that no longer serve us, we created a small self-serve
> Book Shuk for sales to our congregation, but don't expand outside the
> Temple. Other items are donated to a local nonprofit, More Than Words
> ​,​
> via a book collection container I arranged to be placed at our parking lot
> entrance. (It is also fairly heavily used by the public.)
>
> Robin Zeitz
> Beth El Temple Center
> Belmont, MA
> ​www.betheltemplecenter.org/education/library
> libr...@betheltemplecenter.org​
>

> On Sun, Dec 11, 2016 at 10:18 PM Amy Wissoker Graham <awgra...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
> Has anyone been contacted by a gentleman named Sam Mandel about old
>
> books?  We received an email from him saying that he was interested
>
> in old books for his collection and to share with others, and asking
>
> to come see what we had. It seemed a little odd, but potentially
>
> useful. We are having a book sale in January (donations that are
>
> either duplicates or not worth adding, and books weeded from the
>
> collection) and I never know what to do with all of the leftovers.
>
> Handing them off to him would actually help me out a lot. It just
>
> seemed like an odd, random request, so I thought I'd check with you all.
>

> Feel free to contact me offline if you are uncomfortable answering to
>
> the list.
>

> Thanks for any insights.
>

> Amy
>

> ============================
>
> Amy Wissoker Graham
>
> Ray Doblitz Memorial Library
>
> Congregation Ohev Shalom
>
> Wallingford, PA
>
> awgra...@comcast.net
>

> __
>
> Messages and opinions expressed on Hasafran are those of the individual
> author
>
> and are not necessarily endorsed by the Association of Jewish Libraries
> (AJL)

> http://www.mail-archive.com/hasafran%40lists.service.ohio-st
> ate.edu/maillist.html
>
> Earlier Listserver:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/hasafran%40lists.acs.ohio-state.
> edu/maillist.html
>
> AJL HomePage http://www.JewishLibraries.org

> [...]

Ann Abrams, Librarian
Dr. Arnold L. Segel Library Center
Temple Israel
477 Longwood Avenue
Boston, MA 02215
617-566-3960 x116
aabr...@tisrael.org
http://www.tisrael.org

Visit our library webpage at http://www.tisrael.org/library

Check out our online catalog!
http://library.tisrael.org

*The true measure of any society can be found in how it treats its most
vulnerable members. *
Mahatma Gandhi.