Hi Arlene -

That's pretty advanced reading for a 2nd grader.  I've got a few to add to
the list, but definitely take a look at them first - I'm quite careful about
where I shelve the graphic novels in my library.  Rabbi Harvey and Barry
Deutsch are fine in the YA section, but so many of them are visually or
contextually "graphic" that I keep them in an open space in the adult book
area, where I can keep an eye on who's looking...

Here are some ideas:

                LILY RENEE; ESCAPE ARTIST by Trina Robbins

                MENDEL'S DAUGHTER; A MEMOIR by Martin Lemelman

                ANNE FRANK: THE ANNE FRANK HOUSE AUTORIZED GRAPHIC BIOGRAPHY
by Sid Jacobson

                JEWS IN AMERICA: A CARTOON HISTORY by David Gantz

The first one should be fun for the student. MENDEL'S DAUGHTER is a
re-telling of a Holocaust story - including a lot of iconography -- and the
next two are good to have on hand, but probably not right for this student.

I've really loaded up on the Anne Frank books that are appropriate for
younger ages. So many girls eagerly check out the Diary and are discouraged
by the difficulty and density, and my fear is that they'll never pick it up
again. I'm very pleased to be able to steer them to alternative "Anne"
books.

Good luck, Arlene - let's hope for more graphic novels. (Rabbi Harvey is a
godsend for struggling readers!)

Amy Turim

Temple Emanuel

Kensington, MD