Yishar Koach to you and the whole gang!

yaffa

________________________________
From: Hasafran <hasafran-boun...@lists.osu.edu> on behalf of Rachel Leket-Mor
<rachel.leket-...@asu.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, January 2, 2018 2:16:06 PM
To: Hasafran Listserv
Subject: [ha-Safran] Judaica Librarianship 20 (2017)!

Dear colleagues,

Happy New Year! I am pleased to announce that volume 20 of Judaica
Librarianship is out! The 2017 issue (published December 31) incudes research
and essay articles, reviews, and two columns, one of them is our new JS/DH
(Jewish Studies/ Digital Humanities) column by Michelle Chesner. For more
information, please see the Table of Content below and my Editor’s Note
(attached, also available on the journal’s site).

The expanded editorial section is dedicated to three remarkable AJL members who
have been involved in AJL’s scholarly journal for decades. Pearl Berger and
Barry Walfish both retired from their day jobs and JL’s editorial board; their
contributions to our profession and academic journal are celebrated in this
section. Zachary Baker retired from Stanford University Libraries after decades
of outstanding career, including heavy involvement in JL and, of course,
editing the journal from 2005 to 2012. During his editorship, he changed the
format of the journal and published five issues (Vols. 12–16/17), all available
in digital format on the JL site. Arthur Kiron’s tribute to this “exemplary
citizen of the profession of Judaica librarianship” is followed with Zachary’s
published works, an enhanced version (so I hope, I did my best!) of his
unpublished CV.

I would like to warmly welcome our two new editorial board members, Drs.
Rebecca Jefferson, Head of Price Library of Judaica, Univer­sity of Florida
Libraries and Rachel Heuberger, Judaica Division, University Library Frankfurt
am Main (Germany). From the bottom of my heart I thank our excellent,
thoughtful volunteer copyeditors Nancy Sack and Judy Woltfhal who helped me to
bring this issue to fruition. A big thank-you to JL editorial board member
Arthur Kiron, who helped me plotting the special editorial section, and to
Heidi Lerner who was our accomplice. Lastly, I thank my family who both
supported and missed me during the many, many hours I was “jl-ing,”
particularly during the last few weeks. On behalf of JL’s editorial board,
congratulations to all authors!

Happy reading,

Rachel

Rachel Leket-Mor, MA, MLIS

Associate Librarian

Curator, Open Stack Collections

IsraPulp Collection

Arizona State University Library

Phone: 480-965-2618<tel:(480)%20965-2618>

Editor-in-Chief, Judaica Librarianship

Association of Jewish Libraries

http://ajlpublishing.org<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ajlpublishing.org_&d=DwMFaQ&c=l45AxH-kUV29SRQusp9vYR0n1GycN4_2jInuKy6zbqQ&r=tPhupptxc3iJD_aguos4yYwVn8L-XoTF6quFAv1XH-k&m=fYT5kav0HpRt3jEgHukyuv1TBaQt1tNSOgcqYL8Ppz8&s=JpejBpRrGt81URf0_tsaZZfyYrhf5nXz-R8rxH9ZDtw&e=>

The new issue is now available at
http://ajlpublishing.org<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__ajlpublishing.org_&d=DwMFaQ&c=l45AxH-kUV29SRQusp9vYR0n1GycN4_2jInuKy6zbqQ&r=tPhupptxc3iJD_aguos4yYwVn8L-XoTF6quFAv1XH-k&m=fYT5kav0HpRt3jEgHukyuv1TBaQt1tNSOgcqYL8Ppz8&s=JpejBpRrGt81URf0_tsaZZfyYrhf5nXz-R8rxH9ZDtw&e=>.
 If you are a paid member of AJL (membership renewal emails were sent in the
fall), you should have access to all current content of the journal. Access is
enabled by creating a personal account on that site; please contact me if you
forgot your login email or can’t log in for some other reason. Feel free to
promote the new issue on social media! You can do it by “sharing” links from
the article-level pages on the site. Please do not share the PDF files
themselves, they will become open access in 12 months. The reason for this
request is simple: while the work on the journal is voluntary, the pricy online
hosting is paid for with AJL member-supported funds. We appreciate your support
of AJL’s scholarly journal.

Judaica Librarianship 20 (2017)

Editorials

1.      Leket-Mor, Rachel. 2017. “Vol. 20 Editor’s Note.” Judaica Librarianship
20: 1–4. doi:10.14263/2330-2976.1285<https://doi.org/10.14263/2330-2976.1285>.

2.      Kiron, Arthur. “Tribute to Zachary Baker, Editor of Judaica
Librarianship (2005–2012), on the Occasion of His Retirement.” Judaica
Librarianship 20: 5–13.
doi:10.14263/2330-2976.1286<https://doi.org/10.14263/2330-2976.1286>.

3.      Baker, Zachary M. “Pearl Berger: The Consummate Librarian, Mentor,
Colleague, and Friend.” Judaica Librarianship 20: 14–15.
doi:10.14263/2330-2976.1287<https://doi.org/10.14263/2330-2976.1287>.

4.      Lubetski, Edith. “ ‘And Let Her Works Praise Her in the Gates’: A
Tribute to Pearl Berger.” Judaica Librarianship 20: 16–18.
doi:10.14263/2330-2976.1288<https://doi.org/10.14263/2330-2976.1288>.

5.      Leket-Mor, Rachel. “Barry Dov Walfish, the
Cataloger-Bibliographer-Scholar Librarian.” Judaica Librarianship 20: 19–20.
doi:10.14263/2330-2976.1289<https://doi.org/10.14263/2330-2976.1289>.

Essay and Research

6.      Jefferson, Rebecca J. “Dangerous Liaisons in Cairo: Reginald Q.
Henriques and the Taylor-Schechter Genizah Manuscript Collection.” Judaica
Librarianship 20: 21–51.
doi:10.14263/2330-2976.1212<https://doi.org/10.14263/2330-2976.1212>.

7.      Misrati, Rachel. “A Jewish National Collection for a Jewish National
Library: The Abraham Schwadron Collection, Past and Present.” Judaica
Librarianship 20: 52–79.
doi:10.14263/2330-2976.1207<https://doi.org/10.14263/2330-2976.1207>.

8.      Brener, Ann. “The Odessa Years: Shoshana Persitz and the Gamliel
Library of Omanut Press (1918–1920).” Judaica Librarianship 20: 80–99.
doi:10.14263/2330-2976.1215<https://doi.org/10.14263/2330-2976.1215>.

9.      Berger, Shulamith. “Moyshe Levin (Ber Sarin) of Yung-Vilne and His Solo
Publishing Venture for Children.” Judaica Librarianship 20: 100–133.
doi:10.14263/2330-2976.1281<https://doi.org/10.14263/2330-2976.1281>.

10.   Lerner, Heidi G. “Hebraica Catalogers and Cataloging Roles in North
America: Today and Tomorrow.” Judaica Librarianship 20: 134–158.
doi:10.14263/2330-2976.1280<https://doi.org/10.14263/2330-2976.1280>.

11.   Bali, Rifat. “Istanbul’s Jewish Bookstores: Monuments to a Bygone Era.”
Judaica Librarianship 20: 159–179.
doi:10.14263/2330-2976.1213<https://doi.org/10.14263/2330-2976.1213>.

12.   Zalmona, Yigal. “ ‘A Library is not a Museum’?.” Judaica Librarianship
20: 180–183.
doi:10.14263/2330-2976.1290<https://doi.org/10.14263/2330-2976.1290>.

Reviews

13.   Kiron, Arthur. “Campbell, Heidi A. (ed.) Digital Judaism: Jewish
Negotiations with Digital Media and Culture. Routledge Studies in Religion and
Digital Culture 2. New York and London: Routledge, 2015. vi, 213 p., $148.
ISBN: 9780415736244.” Judaica Librarianship 20: 187–193.
doi:10.14263/2330-2976.1292<https://doi.org/10.14263/2330-2976.1292>.

14.   Walfish, Barry D. “Mintz, Sharon Liberman, Shaul Seidler-Feller, David
Wachtel, eds. The Writing on the Wall: A Catalogue of Judaica Broadsides from
the Valmadonna Trust Library. London; New York: Valmadonna Trust Library, 2015.
320 p., $75.00. ISBN: 9780692453032.” Judaica Librarianship 20: 184–188.
doi:10.14263/2330-2976.1291<https://doi.org/10.14263/2330-2976.1291>.

Columns

15.   Chesner, Michelle. “JS/DH: An Introduction to Jewish Studies/ Digital
Humanities Resources.” Judaica Librarianship 20: 194–196.
doi:10.14263/2330-2976.1293<https://doi.org/10.14263/2330-2976.1293>.

16.   Gottschalk, Haim. 2017. “Scatter of the Literature, June 2016–December
2017.” Judaica Librarianship 20: 197–211.
doi:10.14263/2330-2976.1294<https://doi.org/10.14263/2330-2976.1294>.