Thanks, Heidi--

Fascinating article, both about Judeo-Arabic and Prof. Blau.

And helpful to me as I am working on the first of a mystery series set in
the late Renaissance (Safed and commercial centers around the Mediterranean
in the time of Ha'Ari). I've spent time trying to figure out what all those
Jewish travelers and merchants spoke.

And thank goodness for the Cairo geniza. Our knowledge about those times
and places would be so much poorer without all the letters, ship's
manifests, articles of daily life, etc. found there.

Michal (Strutin)

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 8:33 AM Jacqueline Benefraim <j.benefr...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Heidi,
>
> I was not able to open the entire article while traveling in Israel.
> However I wanted to let you know that my Baghdadi in-laws spoke
> Judeo-Arabic at home and a friend who escaped Iraq at age 5 had his mouth
> stuffed with pita when crossing the border so as not to reveal that they
> were Jews.
>
> When I was at Columbia in the 1970s there a a Judeo-Arabic textbook or
> dictionary in the stacks. I wonder if it’s still there.
>
> Hag Same’ah,
>
> Jackie
>
> Jackie Ben-Efraim
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Sep 30, 2018, at 10:24 AM, Heidi G. Lerner <heidig.ler...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> The Little-known Language Spoken by Jews in the Medieval Arab World
>
> https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium.MAGAZINE-the-little-known-language-jews-spoke-across-the-medieval-arab-world-1.6512529
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> __
> Messages and opinions expressed on Hasafran are those of the individual
> author
> and are not necessarily endorsed by the Association of Jewish Libraries
> (AJL)
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/hasafran%40lists.service.ohio-state.edu/maillist.html
> Earlier Listserver:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/hasafran%40lists.acs.ohio-state.edu/maillist.html
> AJL HomePage http://www.JewishLibraries.org

> Messages and opinions expressed on Hasafran are those of the individual
> author
> and are not necessarily endorsed by the Association of Jewish Libraries
> (AJL)
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/hasafran%40lists.service.ohio-state.edu/maillist.html
> Earlier Listserver:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/hasafran%40lists.acs.ohio-state.edu/maillist.html