My maternal great-grandfather
- Pinchas Tzvi Grayevsky - Jerusalem - 1873-1941
https://jr.co.il/richman/pinchas-grayevsky.htm

>From 1948 to 1967 Jordan occupied the oldest Jewish cemetery in the world: Har
HaZeitim - Mount of Olives.
Jewish burials were halted, massive vandalism took place, and
40,000 of the 50,000 graves were desecrated.
King Hussein permitted the construction of the Intercontinental Hotel at the
summit of the Mount of Olives together with a road that cut through the
cemetery which destroyed hundreds of Jewish graves, some from the First Temple
Period.
The destruction was unbridled and premeditated. Ancient tombstones were ripped
out to be used as latrine floors, urinal walls and pavement stones. Garbage was
regularly dumped on the tombs.

After the Six-Day War, restoration work began, and the cemetery was re-opened
for burials. My mom, z"l,  told me that the Israeli government used my great
grandfather's research to reconstruct many of the graves and tombstones on Har
HaZeitim.

Shavua Tov and Yom Yerushalayim Sameach!
Jacob

---
https://www.avg.com