---

Dear Margo,

First, we should note that “Galicia” was never an independent country only a
province of sovereign states during the last three centuries.

Both subject headings, sh 85052795  = Galicia, Eastern (Ukraine) and sh
85052792  = Galicia (Poland and Ukraine), are valid. (so is the name authority
for the  “other” Galicia, n  79089622  = Galicia (Spain : Region))

1.- sh 85052795  = Galicia, Eastern (Ukraine)

Although there are 224 records in LC online catalog for “Galicia, Eastern
(Ukraine)”, there are only 19 for “Galicia, Eastern (Ukraine)” and “Jews” as
subjects

The most recent is

Lccn 2014943292
DS135.U43 ‡b Z35 2014
Galician portraits : ‡b in search of Jewish roots / ‡c Andrew Zalewski.

  Here are the subjects (first and last included)
Zalewski, Andrew.
Jews ‡z Ukraine ‡z Galicia, Eastern ‡x History.
Galicia, Eastern (Ukraine) ‡x Biography.
  This record has a 040 DLC ‡b eng ‡e rda ‡c DLC which indicates that it was
created at The Library of Congress

The first and the last subject heading clarify for us how to use “Galicia,
Eastern (Ukraine)”. Eastern Galicia is a province of Ukraine. The subject
heading, sh 85052795 has a 781 giving us how to construct the string
“Ukraine--Galicia, Eastern”

Thus “Jews-- Ukraine--Galicia, Eastern—History” is correct.

However, for a history of Jews in a city in Eastern Galicia, we don’t use the
subject heading for the Ukrainian province, only the one for the country:

Lccn 72950845
DS135.R93 ‡b K6567
Sefer zikaron li-ḳehilat Ḳolomeyah veha-sevivah (1972)
First subj head = Jews ‡z Ukraine ‡z Kolomyi︠a︡.

Jews--Galicia, Eastern (Ukraine)-- Kolomyi︠a︡  would be wrong.

2.- sh 85052792  = Galicia (Poland and Ukraine)

Although there are 861 records in LC online catalog, there are only 91 records
with  "Galicia (Poland and Ukraine)" and "Jews" as a subjects.

The most recent is:

Lccn 2017058934 / 2017056338
DK4600.G3475 ‡b U56 2018
The Plunder : ‡b The 1898 Anti-Jewish Riots in Habsburg Galicia / ‡c Daniel
Unowsky
 which has as first subject heading
Riots ‡z Galicia (Poland and Ukraine) ‡x History ‡y 19th century.

another one
Lccn  2015519960
DS134.55 ‡b .M36 2015
Yehude Galitsyah ṿeha-ḥuḳah ha-Osṭrit : ‡b reshitah shel poliṭiḳah
Yehudit modernit =  Jews of Gelicia and the Austrian constitution/ ‡c Maneḳin
Raḥel
  has as first subject heading
Jews ‡z Galicia (Poland and Ukraine) ‡x History ‡y 19th century.
  which clarifies for us how to use the subject heading "Galicia (Poland and
Ukraine)" It is to be used for works which deal with the historical province in
the 19th century, when the work deals with the entire province at that time,
and not in a specific city in the province.

3.- Finally, in your email,  you mention DS135.G2

DS135.G2 is found in LC online catalog for two older books. This is not current
practice; current practice has to include the date of publication of the book
in the call number.

Hope this helps. Do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further
assistance.

All the best,

.- r.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Roger Kohn
Cataloger, Israel & Judaica Section
Library of Congress
LS/ABA/ASME/IJ (4222)
LM 537
101 Independence Avenue, SE
Washington, D.C. 20540-4222
(202) 707-3997

"Opinions expressed are those of the author, and are not official statements by
the Library of Congress."
.
Hasafran Digest, Vol 389, Issue 3

Today's Topics: