Hello, Safranim,

I am working on a presentation -- a spinoff from a session I gave at the
2019 AJL Conference-- on anti-Israeli propaganda in novels and memoirs for
children and young adults. I am concerned that some books extremely hostile
to Israel may be in use in schools.

I am aware of one school in the U.S. in which Elizabeth Laird’s *A Little
Piece of Ground*, with its toxic anti-Israel message and its demonization
of Israeli soldiers, has been used for class study.

I was wondering if anyone else on this list might be aware of the use of
this or other anti-Israel books in schools (or in public readings for
children) in the U.S. or Canada. Below you’ll find my list of some of the
titles which, following detailed analysis, I’ve found to contain factual
errors, distortions of history, or instances of demonization and
stereotyping of Israel or Israelis. If anyone is aware of the use of any of
these books,  *or of public controversies surrounding the use of these or
any other anti-Israel books*, I’d appreciate your contacting  me off-list
at marjoriega...@gmail.com.

Thank you.

Marjorie Gann

*Children’s and YA Novels or Memoirs which contain distortions of the
Arab-Israeli conflict:*

Elizabeth Laird:  *A Little Piece of Ground* (2003)

Anne Laurel Carter:  *The Shepherd’s Granddaughter* (2008)

Deborah Ellis:    *Three Wishes:  Palestinian and Israeli Children Speak*
(2004)

                                *The Cat at the Wall* (2014)

Cathryn Clinton:               *A Stone in My Hand* (2002)

Michael Morpurgo:        *The Kites are Flying! *(2009)

Ibtisam Barakat:               “Marked for Destruction,” in several
anthologies

                                            *Tasting the Sky: A Palestinian
Childhood (2007)*

William Sutcliffe:              *The Wall:  A Modern Fable *(2013)

Randa Abdelfattah:         *Where the Streets Had a Name* (2008)

Naomi Shihab Nye:          *Habibi* (1997)

Leila Abdelrazaq:              *Baddawi *(2015)

Anthony Robinson & Annemarie Young:  *Young Palestinians Speak:  Living
Under Occupation* (2017)

Golbarg Bashi:                   *P Is for Palestine: A Palestine Alphabet
Book *(2018)

Leanne Lieberman:         *The Book of Trees* (2010)

Pamela L. Laskin:             *Ronit & Jamil*  (2017)

--
Marjorie Gann
Latest Book: *Speak a Word for Freedom: Women against Slavery*

"An inspiring collection of those who have fought and continue to fight
against the evil of slavery and an effectively solemn reminder that slavery
remains a global plague." Kirkus

"A powerful indictment of human rights abuses and tribute to the women who
have fought them." Starred review, Publishers Weekly

*Five Thousand Years of Slavery, *
*                            by Marjorie Gann and Janet Willen*
*                            Tundra Books, 2011*

A 2012 Notable Book for a Global Society, Children's Literature and Reading
Special Interest Group, International Reading Association

*ForeWord Reviews Book of the Year, 2011 Silver Winner, Young Adult
Nonfiction*

 Visit our website, www.gannwillen.com
<http://www.fivethousandyearsofslavery.com/>, to steal a peek at both books!