From: Robbin Degeratu <rdeger...@centrecountylibrary.org>
Date: Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 12:16 PM
Subject: Communication to the Association of Jewish Libraries
To: <kathybloomfi...@gmail.com>

Good afternoon Kathy,

I hope that this message finds you well and that you are having a
productive day.

I serve as the Chair of the Pennsylvania Library Association (ALA
Affiliate) Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Committee, and we’re in the
process of recruiting prospective Committee members for 2021 and beyond. I
wanted to reach out to you to see whether you would be willing to share my
message, below, with members of the Association of Jewish Libraries? We're
hoping to encourage people who may be active on the national level to
contribute to EDI work that needs to be done here in Pennsylvania.

I sincerely appreciate you considering my request. Please do let me know if
you have any questions or comments.

Warm regards,

Robbin Degeratu
2020 Chair – Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Committee
Pennsylvania Library Association
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://palibraries.org__;!!KGKeukY!kyY228mwrl_ePgw4ovTIQ3kNGqq6R7nCckfFESl_md6i3bSaBnkcxLBdpRHPOxw36v4$

--
Centering lived experience - EDI in Pennsylvania

Earlier this year, the Pennsylvania Library Association (PaLA) formed an
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) Committee, which is charged with
pursuing, promoting, and championing EDI within PaLA. The committee
examines and develops strategies to promote greater diversity, equity, and
inclusion within PaLA, and in turn within our profession and our libraries.

This recently-formed group is proud of the work that it’s doing, but the
reality is that the committee itself is not as diverse as it needs to be to
effectively represent library workers in Pennsylvania. We’re committed to
promoting equity, diversity, and inclusion broadly, but we fell short in
recruiting ample representation from Black, Indigenous, and people of color
on this committee, and we can’t accomplish big things as a group without
the voices that we most need to hear.

If you’re a member of PaLA (or are willing to become a member) and you’re
interested in informing this conversation, helping build diversity
initiatives in the Association, and being inclusive and equitable in our
programs and activities, we want to hear from you. You’ll be joining an
enthusiastic group of colleagues who are eager to do the work that is
needed, but want to make sure that lived experience and perspectives are at
the center of what PaLA does. This committee will be important to lead
progress and change. We hope that you’ll consider joining us.

Reach out to the 2020 Chair, Robbin Degeratu, to express your interest at
rdeger...@centrecountylibrary.org.

--

Sign up for PA Room/Museum news and updates!
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://goo.gl/forms/DnlBZfJUNDpclPYJ3__;!!KGKeukY!kyY228mwrl_ePgw4ovTIQ3kNGqq6R7nCckfFESl_md6i3bSaBnkcxLBdpRHPwk8BPzk$

--
Kathleen M. Bloomfield
President, Association of Jewish Libraries:

Find me!
Website: forwordsbooks: kids books that matter.
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://forwordsbooks.com/__;!!KGKeukY!kyY228mwrl_ePgw4ovTIQ3kNGqq6R7nCckfFESl_md6i3bSaBnkcxLBdpRHPobRECyE$

Instagram: *therealkathybloomfield*
Twitter: @forwordsbooks

"Reading is the key that opens doors to many good things in life. Reading
shaped my dreams, and more reading helped me make my dreams come true."  -
Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg