Dear colleagues:
Please follow LBI’s newest project:

Shared History: 1700 Years of Jewish Life in German-speaking Lands:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://sharedhistoryproject.org/__;!!KGKeukY!lcueEkJN1ZjqWZy4Ex2RlZgfgGUgSI9_tYKRKE53vLgWWosCPyLWWc6HNiA5YlPMD2U$

2021 marks the 1,700 anniversary of the earliest evidence of a Jewish presence
in the Roman provinces of the Rhineland (mentioned in a 321 edict of
Constantine the Great as preserved in a 6th century manuscript at the Vatican
library).  The Shared History Project will use 58 objects located in several
dozen collections presented chronologically to create a multifaceted historical
narrative of the complex coexistence of Jews and non-Jews in German-speaking
lands over 1,700 years. Each object will illustrate a facet about  Jewish
history and everyday life which was and still is deeply interwoven with the
peoples, regions, and countries of Central Europe. Each week in 2021, a new
object will be released (you can sign up for a weekly reminder), with daily
entries during the week of November 10,  each object is accompanied by two
brief essays & a provenance note, embedded in a time-line, featured on a map,
and will also be placed in a virtual exhibition room which will open this week.

Last week, the 14th century Jewish wedding from Colmar was featured, held by
the  Musée de Cluny in Paris, which was very recently (exactly pre-pandemic …..
sigh, those were the days )  presented at the Cloisters/ Metropolitan Museum as
the highlight of the exquisite Colmar
Treasure<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.metmuseum.org/exhibitions/listings/2019/colmar-treasure-medieval-jewish-legacy__;!!KGKeukY!lcueEkJN1ZjqWZy4Ex2RlZgfgGUgSI9_tYKRKE53vLgWWosCPyLWWc6HNiA5gTZe9SI$
 > exhibition.
[cid:image001.jpg@01D70CC1.49FEDD60]<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://sharedhistoryproject.org/object/jewish-ceremonial-wedding-ring__;!!KGKeukY!lcueEkJN1ZjqWZy4Ex2RlZgfgGUgSI9_tYKRKE53vLgWWosCPyLWWc6HNiA5F6fcxtg$

SHP Object 8, released Feb 21, 2021
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://sharedhistoryproject.org/object/jewish-ceremonial-wedding-ring__;!!KGKeukY!lcueEkJN1ZjqWZy4Ex2RlZgfgGUgSI9_tYKRKE53vLgWWosCPyLWWc6HNiA5F6fcxtg$

Throughout the year, events and lectures will accompany the online project.
During our first event last week, three experts on late antiquity discussed
archeological and historical evidence surrounding Jewish life in ancient Roman
provinces north of the Alpes (mainly related to the archaeological sites in
Cologne (Germany) and Kaiseraugst (Switzerland), the recording was just placed
on LBI’s Youtube channel: Jewish Life in Late Antiquity: >From Colonia
Agrippina to Augusta
Raurica<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3spVqfNEYg__;!!KGKeukY!lcueEkJN1ZjqWZy4Ex2RlZgfgGUgSI9_tYKRKE53vLgWWosCPyLWWc6HNiA5NhpmZHM$
 >,

We would be delighted if you could join and follow this project -  and spread
the word 😊
Thanks

Your collegagues at the Leo Baeck Institute New York | Berlin

Posted by:
Renate Evers
Director of Collections
Leo Baeck Institute at the Center for Jewish History
15 W 16th Street | New York, NY 10011
rev...@lbi.cjh.org<mailto:rev...@lbi.cjh.org>
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.lbi.org__;!!KGKeukY!lcueEkJN1ZjqWZy4Ex2RlZgfgGUgSI9_tYKRKE53vLgWWosCPyLWWc6HNiA5hI6kkRs$

<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.lbi.org/__;!!KGKeukY!lcueEkJN1ZjqWZy4Ex2RlZgfgGUgSI9_tYKRKE53vLgWWosCPyLWWc6HNiA57s-8XFU$

1938projekt.org<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.1938projekt.org/__;!!KGKeukY!lcueEkJN1ZjqWZy4Ex2RlZgfgGUgSI9_tYKRKE53vLgWWosCPyLWWc6HNiA5FG4qyJA$
Support our work<Support%20our%20work> |
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.lbi.org/coronavirus-update/__;!!KGKeukY!lcueEkJN1ZjqWZy4Ex2RlZgfgGUgSI9_tYKRKE53vLgWWosCPyLWWc6HNiA5QlWSxvc$

LBI on social media:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.facebook.com/lbi.newyork__;!!KGKeukY!lcueEkJN1ZjqWZy4Ex2RlZgfgGUgSI9_tYKRKE53vLgWWosCPyLWWc6HNiA5i3omSfw$

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://twitter.com/lbinyc__;!!KGKeukY!lcueEkJN1ZjqWZy4Ex2RlZgfgGUgSI9_tYKRKE53vLgWWosCPyLWWc6HNiA5sECsLWk$