We had the author speak shortly after her book was published, (2010)  and
she was an excellent speaker.   I read her book at that  time,  so I don't
remember it super clearly.   But, I remember that overall, I had a positive
impression of it, and I would recommend it for teens and up.

And, please remember the book is a memoir, and she is very clear that this
is her personal point of view.    And, in the Jewish world that I'm in, her
point of view was/is  not  unusual, and I'm sure her book resonated for
many.

JBC did this review, at the time, fyi:

https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.jewishbookcouncil.org/book/how-to-understand-israel-in-60-days-or-less__;!!KGKeukY!iHjQb-Aklyl533J0HQDNX0WYgXb8D3EZZSg3EwD3Uiii_0ndAaEc_W5qIlYdtEODgV4$

 Marjorie, I like that you used the word "wrestle" in your comments, and
referenced Jacob,  as, what can be more Jewish than a young (she was in her
20's when she went on Birthright and wrote this) Jew struggling with
feelings about Israel, or anything relating to Judaism and Jewish life?

And, if you and/or your patrons like cartoons and graphic novels/memoirs,
check out her website.
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://sarahglidden.com/__;!!KGKeukY!iHjQb-Aklyl533J0HQDNX0WYgXb8D3EZZSg3EwD3Uiii_0ndAaEc_W5qIlYdYgPIjTQ$

Hope everyone's well,

Ann

On Fri, Nov 5, 2021 at 5:08 PM Marjorie Gann via Hasafran <
hasafran@lists.osu.edu> wrote:

> Heidi, I did read it , some years ago. I understood where the author was
> coming from, but had a negative reaction nonetheless.
>
> I think it approached Israel as a *problem* to wrestle with (rather like
> Jacob in this week's parasha), rather than as a *normal country* (which
> it is).  Its subconscious message seemed to be, "Well, since the whole
> world is always criticizing Israel there must be something wrong with it,
> so for me, as a liberal American Jew, I have to struggle with Israel on MY
> AMERICAN terms instead of reading Israel on its own terms."
>
> Or: Israel isn't something to be proud of, it's something to feel angst
> (and embarrassment) about. The angst was very often written on the face of
> the protagonist of the graphic novel, as I recall. I personally wasn't
> comfortable with that as a point of departure.
>
> Now I admit, I don't have the book in front of me right now, but that was
> my take-away from it. As for your question about level, yes, it's written
> for YA. But I'm not sure I'd want to use the book to introduce the country
> to people who don't have any background on it.
> Marjorie
>
> On Fri, Nov 5, 2021 at 3:19 PM Heidi Rabinowitz via Hasafran <
> hasafran@lists.osu.edu> wrote:
>
>> Has anyone read the graphic novel How to Understand Israel in 60 Days or
>> Less by Sarah Glidden? Is it appropriate for YA readers? If so, what age?
>> And would it make sense to non-Jewish YA readers who don’t have background
>> knowledge about Israel?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Heidi Rabinowitz
>>
>> he...@cbiboca.org
>> __
>> Messages and opinions expressed on Hasafran are those of the individual
>> author
>> and are not necessarily endorsed by the Association of Jewish Libraries
>> (AJL)
>> Ha-Safran Archives:
>> Current:
>>
>> https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.mail-archive.com/hasafran*40lists.service.ohio-state.edu/maillist.html__;JQ!!KGKeukY!iHjQb-Aklyl533J0HQDNX0WYgXb8D3EZZSg3EwD3Uiii_0ndAaEc_W5qIlYdrh4qyaA$
>>
>> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.mail-archive.com/hasafran*40lists.service.ohio-state.edu/maillist.html__;JQ!!KGKeukY!kAtwYmVnuV2dCB_LCVAvSZQOmz8elvPN7lvY6qfHNcjwmCTsATM9Xg3J5Pivf4pEqUE$>
>> Earlier Listserver:
>>
>> https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.mail-archive.com/hasafran*40lists.acs.ohio-state.edu/maillist.html__;JQ!!KGKeukY!iHjQb-Aklyl533J0HQDNX0WYgXb8D3EZZSg3EwD3Uiii_0ndAaEc_W5qIlYd6kRRHsc$
>>
>> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.mail-archive.com/hasafran*40lists.acs.ohio-state.edu/maillist.html__;JQ!!KGKeukY!kAtwYmVnuV2dCB_LCVAvSZQOmz8elvPN7lvY6qfHNcjwmCTsATM9Xg3J5Piv77mgCVA$>
>> AJL HomePage
>> https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.JewishLibraries.org__;!!KGKeukY!iHjQb-Aklyl533J0HQDNX0WYgXb8D3EZZSg3EwD3Uiii_0ndAaEc_W5qIlYdemt5_dI$

> [...]

Ann Abrams, Librarian
Dr. Arnold L. Segel Library Center
TILLI (Temple Israel Lifelong Learning Institute) Coordinator
Temple Israel
477 Longwood Avenue
Boston, MA 02215

Pronouns: she/her/hers

617-566-3960 x116
Check out our library catalog
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://library.tisrael.org__;!!KGKeukY!iHjQb-Aklyl533J0HQDNX0WYgXb8D3EZZSg3EwD3Uiii_0ndAaEc_W5qIlYdmZie2-E$

Participate in Temple Israel life virtually.
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.tisrael.org/togetherwithti__;!!KGKeukY!iHjQb-Aklyl533J0HQDNX0WYgXb8D3EZZSg3EwD3Uiii_0ndAaEc_W5qIlYdmmzwEcI$

Do you need help?  View our COVID-19 resources.
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.tisrael.org/covid19-resources/__;!!KGKeukY!iHjQb-Aklyl533J0HQDNX0WYgXb8D3EZZSg3EwD3Uiii_0ndAaEc_W5qIlYdQEjILiw$