This is posted on behalf of a former Jewish community colleague.
It has me stumped, but sci fi isn't really my forte.
*******
Decades ago I recall reading a science-fiction short story about a Jewish man
who tried to volunteer for an one-way mission to outer space. He had no
qualifications for the task but he was adamant that he be chosen. When he was
asked why it was so important to him he explained that he was a Kohain, and as
a member of the priest tribe he was forbidden to step foot inside a cemetery.
Since the Second World War, the ashes from the death camps had risen into the
air and had encircled the globe. All of the earth was a cemetery and so he had
to leave.

*********

I told him that our "hive mind" is often very effective at finding answers.
Steven M. Bergson, editor of Jewish Comics AnthologyToronto, Canada