*From:* "American Library Association" <a...@ala.org>
*Sent:* Thu, Mar 10, 2022 at 8:01 AM
*Subject:* Kelvin Watson for ALA President – KelvinWatsonForLibraries.com
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://kelvinwatsonforlibraries.com/__;!!KGKeukY!lnTeEULpVCDRAWytjBh7tNYXkdnG3bp-_tSUAVfNcJJNqv3b6NMMKiLxXifsp8nRSet8f6JqlUnO55E$

Dear Colleagues:

I want to thank each of you who have attended our campaign forums, sent me
questions and feedback, and participated in this important election process.

Now more than ever, I believe that with new ideas on governance, new and
unique funding models, and new resources to support staff and the
profession, we can build on present successes to create real, measurable
change through the power of the ALA.

We must start by better advocating for library workers and establish new
career paths within our profession. To create a library workforce of the
future, we must broaden our library science degrees. This could include
courses in business, technology, the sciences, social work, and public
policy, which would expand our knowledge base and build advocacy from a
variety of life experiences and perspectives.

Pivoting toward diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA)
among library workers is critical in making our spaces more welcoming for
the communities we serve, who are more ethnically, racially, and
gender-diverse than ever before. In order to build trust and engagement,
they need to see themselves reflected in our libraries.

We must also demonstrate to our community stakeholders that libraries are
the best possible investment of tax dollars and philanthropy. Beyond our
buildings, we can demonstrate the value we bring when we meet those we
serve where they are. This means leveraging our collections (both physical
and digital) in places like parks, prisons, and hospitals. Attracting
investment in our infrastructure — human, digital, and bricks and mortar —
is achievable in every small town and big city. I look forward to showing
you how.

Throughout my career, beginning as a US Army officer, later in private
industry, and finally as a librarian, I have experienced the benefits of
leading, which includes organizing, collaborating, and forging a strategic
vision that elevates those I’ve served internally and externally.

My action plan has been formed by your specific goals and concerns, and if
elected, I will continue to seek out your ideas and solutions to the
challenges that we face. My plan includes:

   - Advocating for our role as defenders of intellectual freedom
   - Advocating for safety and fairness in our workplaces
   - Taking steps to realize greater DEIA, and social justice for all
   library workers
   - Leveraging my proven fiscal experience to raise funds and reinvest in
   our people and profession
   - Advocating for our public, school, academic, and special libraries
   - Supporting and furthering ALA’s sustainability goals

I am the first ALA Spectrum Scholar (2006) and ARL Diversity Participant
Scholar (2005, now Kaleidoscope) to run for this office. I believe this is
an affirmation of why diversity leadership and recruitment programs work,
and why we must expand them to attract a broader diverse ALA membership.

Most importantly, this election is about you and your hopes for the future
of ALA. As a country, and a profession, we face changes and challenges that
have not been seen in a generation. We must stand together as advocates for
what we believe in and not waver against a loud and vocal minority.

This is why I am asking for your vote for ALA President, so that with your
help, all staff in our ecosystem can work together to implement proven
models of success. I invite you to visit my website at
KelvinWatsonForLibraries.com
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://kelvinwatsonforlibraries.com/__;!!KGKeukY!lnTeEULpVCDRAWytjBh7tNYXkdnG3bp-_tSUAVfNcJJNqv3b6NMMKiLxXifsp8nRSet8f6JqlUnO55E$
 >.

With sincere appreciation,

Kelvin Watson

[image: ALA American Library Association]

*Read this email in a browser
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT0xMDQ4NzI3MyZwPTEmdT0xMDA3NDA1NjE0JmxpPTkzMzcxMDQ1/index.html__;!!KGKeukY!lnTeEULpVCDRAWytjBh7tNYXkdnG3bp-_tSUAVfNcJJNqv3b6NMMKiLxXifsp8nRSet8f6JqlKY5VZ8$
 >*

*American Library Association (ALA),*

*225 N Michigan Ave, Suite 1300 Chicago, IL 60601*

*https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.ala.org__;!!KGKeukY!lnTeEULpVCDRAWytjBh7tNYXkdnG3bp-_tSUAVfNcJJNqv3b6NMMKiLxXifsp8nRSet8f6JqyXdncTs$

<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT0xMDQ4NzI3MyZwPTEmdT0xMDA3NDA1NjE0JmxpPTkzMzcxMDQ4/index.html__;!!KGKeukY!lnTeEULpVCDRAWytjBh7tNYXkdnG3bp-_tSUAVfNcJJNqv3b6NMMKiLxXifsp8nRSet8f6JqpOBQl1o$