Barbara was a strong and helpful supporter of the Elazar Classification
System for Libraries of Judaica. I have retained much of the correspondence
between us regarding the development and use of the System over the years. I
would like to share with you an entry of hers in Hasafran (oct 12, 1995):

" Here is a brief anecdote to illustrate: I converted my library collection
to Elazar more than 25 years ago because my mentor, Dorothy Schroeder (of
blessed memory), considered it the best for synagogue libraries. My rabbi
confirmed this not long after that, when he came into our library to browse.
I asked him if I could show him around and he said, "What for? Everything is
here -- just the way I think about Judaism -- it's all in order for me!"
I've never forgotten his response, and I've found again and again that
materials arranged by Elazar are logically 'in order.'

Another reason I like Elazar is because I learned an overview of Judaism
through the Elazar scheme (as a library volunteer with limited library
knowledge for 10 years prior to getting my masters). Elazar pulls the
Judaica body of knowledge together in its outlines and explanations.
Elazar's logical sequences and orderliness allows a non-schooled library
person to acquire a valuable understanding of Judaism, and, as you are
aware, many synagogues ask volunteers or librarians with minimal Judaica
background to manage their libraries. Also, non-professional librarians
could not possibly handle the many LC cataloging tools in order to catalog
their books. Elazar is a single, slim volume, easy to handle and use, and
indexed."

May her memory be blessed

David Elazar

Rishon LeZion, Israel