We are so proud of our wonderful section head Aaron Taub for all his work in
the field of Yiddish literature and beyond.  We are lucky to have him are our
“fearless leader”.  Kol ha-Kavod Aaron!!!!

From: ajl...@umd.edu <ajl...@umd.edu> On Behalf Of Yermiyahu Ahron Taub
Sent: Monday, April 4, 2022 7:49 PM
To: Yermiyahu Ahron Taub <yermiyahuahront...@gmail.com>
Subject: Dineh: an Autobiographical Novel by Ida Maze

Dear All,

I'm delighted to let you know that Dineh: an Autobiographical Novel, my
translation into English of Ida Maze's Yiddish-language Dineh: oytobiografishe
dertseylung, has just been published by White Goat Press of the Yiddish Book
Center. There are many people to thank for helping this work come out into the
world, and my acknowledgments in the book are extensive. Please know that I am
grateful to you all. Here, I would like to thank Ida Maze's son, Professor
Irving Massey, for his support of this project and longtime advocacy on behalf
of his mother's work, and Lisa Newman and the White Goat Press team for all of
their creativity, hard work, and vision.

A citation, brief synopsis of and advance praise for the book are below. The
book is available for purchase from the Yiddish Book Center
store<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://shop.yiddishbookcenter.org/products/dineh-an-autobiographical-novel-by-ida-maze__;!!KGKeukY!hEEVgqDXM6gb8z2HzPCUss6QtTdpvKj7GLv0FptUbASnexyhAK94t1YYfmMDHavPgkwYbV2msu61ng4$
Indiebound<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.indiebound.org/book/9781734387292__;!!KGKeukY!hEEVgqDXM6gb8z2HzPCUss6QtTdpvKj7GLv0FptUbASnexyhAK94t1YYfmMDHavPgkwYbV2m9byLplk$
 >, and other booksellers. An ebook version is in production and it usually
takes a few weeks for it to become available on platforms.

Many thanks in advance for your interest and support.

Regards,
Yermiyahu Ahron

Maze, Ida. Dineh: an Autobiographical Novel. Translated from the Yiddish and
with an afterword by Yermiyahu Ahron Taub. Introduction by Emma Garman.
Amherst, Massachusetts: White Goat Press, 2022. 289 pages. Paperback edition
ISBN: 978-1-734872-9-2; Hardcover edition ISBN: 978-8-9852069-0-6; Ebook
edition ISBN: 978-8-9852069-1-3.

Synopsis

Dineh is a pastorale laced with beauty and sorrow and a bildungsroman told from
the point of view of a young girl. Maze’s heroine, in what is now Belarus, is
fueled by her hunger for learning, connection to family and community, and love
of the natural world. Maze interweaves Dineh’s story with portraits of others
as she unflinchingly examines the lives of women, class stratification,
thwarted romance, violence, and the perils of childbirth. Propelling the novel
forward are the tightening noose of tsarist anti-Semitism, the increasing
restrictions on Jewish economic survival, and the rising tide of revolutionary
movements. Taken as a whole, Dineh provides a haunting portrait of rural and
village Jewish life in White Russia in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Advance Praise for Dineh: an Autobiographical Novel

“Maze’s posthumous novel presents the beauty, poverty, and tragedy of Belarus
during the First Russian Revolution as seen through the eyes of a young Jewish
girl… A tragic, lovely, and important Yiddish novel in translation.”
—Kirkus Reviews

Ida Maze’s autobiographical novel Dineh, beautifully translated by Yermiyahu
Ahron Taub, is a deeply sensory reading experience. The reader encounters the
life of village Jews in tsarist Russia through the eye of a sensitive young
girl, attuned to the seasonal and emotional changes in her natural and social
landscape. Through Dineh’s perspective, we see the incursion of anti-Jewish
policies and new political winds, but also the joys, drudgery, and tragedies of
her relatives, neighbors, and acquaintances. It is a bit like reading Sholem
Aleichem’s Tevye stories from the viewpoint of the youngest daughter. Looking
back on her own youth, Maze imbues her character with both the generosity and
self-absorption of a child. Dineh’s enthusiasm for study, for human
interaction, and for the wonders of nature make for an engaging and poignant
view of  Jewish life in Eastern Europe in an era of change.
—Eliyana Adler, author of In Her Hands: The Education of Jewish Girls in
Tsarist Russia

In Dineh Ida Maze re-created the world of her Jewish childhood in a White
Russian village, a world at once cruel and exalted, a world that no longer
existed by the time she memorialized it in vivid, sensuous Yiddish prose.
Maze’s act of retrieval is matched by that of her translator, Yermiyahu Ahron
Taub, who brings this world to life again in English with great poetic
sensitivity and illuminates Maze’s contributions to Yiddish literature in a
fascinating afterword … This novel should take a prominent place in the
expanding canon of Yiddish women writers brought out of entirely undeserved
obscurity.
—Ross Benjamin, translator of Franz Kafka’s Diaries

This fictionalized autobiography by the important Yiddish writer Ida Maze
lovingly describes the world she inhabited in her childhood and early
adolescence … This finely written, sensitively translated, and moving book is
about loving, leaving, and grieving a world left behind—a complex, beautiful
world that is no more.
—Nora Gold, editor of Jewish Fiction .net