I don't think that the detailed attachment will come through, so I won't
post it, but I just received an announcement from the IAWE (Israel
Association of Writers in English) about this upcoming event that is very
much of interest in this context:

"Our opening IAWE event for 2002–2003 is 'Insider/Outsider: Writing in
English about Israel,' featuring Ayelet Tsabari and Omer Friedlander, on
Zoom."

As mentioned on the IAWE website
(https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.iawe.org.il/__;!!KGKeukY!3IZYnRJXz77FaZ46F2sJcB4Uar7Ef2h5TrITme7EkVhmnToyigiSg8OoOgDJ7B787ZkNVnls1pRoS7XmK_Ws$
  ), this event
will take place October 27 at 7pm Israel time. Join the mailing list as
invited on the website to receive additional information.

G'mar chatima tova to all,
Erika

On Mon, Oct 3, 2022 at 10:06 PM Rachel Kamin via Hasafran <
hasafran@lists.osu.edu> wrote:

> [...]
> from the University of Cambridge and an MFA from Boston University. He
> currently lives in New
>
> Hi Amalia,
>

> I believe Omer Friedlander writes in English. While he was born in
> Jerusalem and grew up in Tel Aviv, he has a BA in English Literature from
> the University of Cambridge and an MFA from Boston University. He currently
> lives in New York.  Go to
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.omerfriedlander.com/aboutomer__;!!KGKeukY!3IZYnRJXz77FaZ46F2sJcB4Uar7Ef2h5TrITme7EkVhmnToyigiSg8OoOgDJ7B787ZkNVnls1pRoSx-1EfSw$
>
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.omerfriedlander.com/aboutomer__;!!KGKeukY!2x9eF9x-DJQGJtqB-EMvbiyOYnpv_4a0nz-FRFMjMILF1uTJ7gXUoTzu5DMaUsH70PQIhDrZU2bCtP9LrwkZxg$>
> to learn more.
>

> I discovered him when his short story “Alte Sachen
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/books/literary-awards/ct-books-algren-2020-omer-friedlander-20200619-ke627wquzrajvisj7znkfxcr6a-story.html__;!!KGKeukY!2x9eF9x-DJQGJtqB-EMvbiyOYnpv_4a0nz-FRFMjMILF1uTJ7gXUoTzu5DMaUsH70PQIhDrZU2bCtP9H5YPNHg$>”
> was one of the finalists for the Chicago Tribune’s Nelson Algren Literary
> Award and the story was published in the paper in June 2020. I located two
> of his other stories online (“Jellyfish in Gaza
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://baltimorereview.org/index.php/winter_2020/contributor/omer-friedlander*Jellyfish*20in*20Gaza__;IyUl!!KGKeukY!2x9eF9x-DJQGJtqB-EMvbiyOYnpv_4a0nz-FRFMjMILF1uTJ7gXUoTzu5DMaUsH70PQIhDrZU2bCtP_5j6aDEg$>”
> and “Operation Tamar
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.thecommononline.org/operation-tamar/__;!!KGKeukY!2x9eF9x-DJQGJtqB-EMvbiyOYnpv_4a0nz-FRFMjMILF1uTJ7gXUoTzu5DMaUsH70PQIhDrZU2bCtP8N34GYXw$>”)
> and discussed them with my short story discussion group during the
> pandemic. So I was really excited to see that his debut collection of
> stories, *The Man Who Sold Air in the Holy Land*, was being published
> this year by Random Hoyse. "Alte Sachen" and "Jellyfish in Gaza" are still
> my favorites but "Jaffa Oranges," "Checkpoint," “The Sephardi Survivor,”
> and the title story are excellent too. While some of the other stories
> aren't as strong, Friedlander is a fresh, new young voice and this solid
> collection definitely deserves a place alongside Israeli and expat writers
> like Etgar Keret, Ayelet Tsabari, Eshkol Nevo, and Nicole Krauss. I highly
> recommend it!
>

> *G’mar Chatimah Tova*,
>

> Rachel Kamin, Director of Lifelong Learning
>
> North Suburban Synagogue Beth El
>
> 847/926-7902 or rka...@nssbethel.org
>

> CURRENTLY RE-READING: *The Thread Collectors *by Shaunna Edwards & Alyson
> Richman (for the November Torah Fund Book Club)
>
> CURRENTLY LISTENING TO: *The School that Escaped the Nazis: The True
> Story of the Schoolteacher Who Defied Hitler* by Deborah Cadbury

*Erika Dreifus* | Reader. Writer. Teacher. Resource Maven.
(w)
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://www.erikadreifus.com__;!!KGKeukY!3IZYnRJXz77FaZ46F2sJcB4Uar7Ef2h5TrITme7EkVhmnToyigiSg8OoOgDJ7B787ZkNVnls1pRoS5tG88mv$

(t)
https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://twitter.com/erikadreifus__;!!KGKeukY!3IZYnRJXz77FaZ46F2sJcB4Uar7Ef2h5TrITme7EkVhmnToyigiSg8OoOgDJ7B787ZkNVnls1pRoS8HWkmMH$