Beth Dwoskin  510 Glendale Circle
Ann Arbor, MI 48103

   ----- Forwarded Message ----- From: Association of Jewish Libraries
<i...@jewishlibraries.org>To: Beth Dwoskin <bdwos...@yahoo.com>Sent: Friday,
October 13, 2023 at 02:16:34 PM EDTSubject: AJL Israel Updates and Requests for
Volunteers

|  |

AJL Israel Updates and Requests for Volunteers

Dear Members,

It is so hard for me to write this letter. Many of us are facing so much this
week, with the loss of or fear for friends, family members, or colleagues. I am
writing to update you on where we stand as an organization on current events.
For those who have asked, our statement is available here.

To our Israeli members: we've heard from some of you about possible ways we can
help; we are eager to do what we can to support you, so please do be in touch.

Many of you have asked how you can help from afar. Some initiatives below are
actively seeking volunteers and even coordinators; if you would like to step in
to lead, please reach out to me directly or to the person indicated.

1. We will be sharing information regarding a zoom space for members to come
and be with each other next week. If it seems to be helpful to hold these
spaces, we will continue to do them at various times of day so everyone has a
space to be with friends and colleagues.

2. Storytime: Aviva Rosenberg (aviva.h.rosenb...@gmail.com) is coordinating
possible storytimes for Israeli children.

3. We are librarians! Our job is to provide information. At present, we are
looking for volunteers willing to pull together multiple lists. Please reach
out to me if you can take this on:

1) Love Your Neighbor Israel List: This is already available; please feel free
to share widely.

2) Libguides: Is someone willing to pull together a “top three” libguide about
Israel?

3) Books and films: We've already been asked for a “good read” on how to learn
about Israel. Is someone willing to pull together a top ten? Bear in mind that
this is about presenting accurate information; a good list will have multiple
valid perspectives.

Thanks to Vanessa Freedman for this link to an example with a guide to Ukraine,
which is the kind of thing we'd like to put together:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.ucl.ac.uk/ssees/ssees-ukraine/resources__;!!KGKeukY!wDOj2iHFXRWDxs989lylb44DkkkKlvyXiyczExNqXV2cSG8droSvxCvAU1uzvABtkZqo9HNlEHgL6c-z4bzT$

4. I've been in touch with our colleagues at the National Library of Israel,
and they have sent the following request for our assistance with web archiving:

“During these difficult times, we in the National Library of Israel are working
to locate and preserve online discussion involving the war. We are interested
in any content that documents the events, including websites, forums, and
social media accounts in Israel and any other country. We would be grateful to
receive lists of relevant links via this google sheet template, or simply by
email to webarch...@nli.org.il”

5. We'd love to add more Israeli libraries to our AJL map:
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://jewishlibraries.org/mapping-ajl/__;!!KGKeukY!wDOj2iHFXRWDxs989lylb44DkkkKlvyXiyczExNqXV2cSG8droSvxCvAU1uzvABtkZqo9HNlEHgL6anw_Mfy$

That's it for now. Please don't hesitate to reach out to your AJL Board,
Council, and fellow members—we are all here for each other during this
difficult time.

With all best wishes for a peaceful and healing Shabbat,

Michelle

Michelle Margolis

President, Association of Jewish Libraries

|   |

The Association of Jewish Libraries is an international, professional
organization that fosters access to information and research in all forms of
media relating to all things Jewish. The Association promotes Jewish literacy
and scholarship and provides a community for peer support and professional
development.

|   |

http://www.mail-archive.com/hasafran%40lists.osu.edu/maillist.html
Earlier Listserver: