On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 4:50 PM, Henning Thielemann
<lemm...@henning-thielemann.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Feb 2009, John Lato wrote:
>
>> I'd like to announce that I've begun a blog for my explorations of
>> audio programming in haskell.  The first posts deal with developing a
>> high-performance, iteratee-based, WAVE reader.  Please do look if
>> you're interested.
>>
>> http://johnlato.blogspot.com/
>
> Why converting from Word8s to Int16 or Double? StorableVector can store
> Int16 or Double directly. If you worry about binary compatibility and
> endianness, wrap Double or Int16 in a newtype with a Storable instance
> which respects the endianess in the WAVE file. But maybe I misunderstood
> the problems completely.

I thought about that, but it isn't clear how to make it work with
Iteratees.  In particular, enum_fd_random can only work with one
element type at a time, so doing this would require one iteratee on
Word8 to read the format, then running another iteratee to read the
data.  This should be much easier for user code to work with, I think.

John