On Tue, 24 Feb 2009, Daniel van den Eijkel wrote:

> Dear Haskell Artists,
>
> I'd like to present another another Haskell sound library for
> non-realtime sound production. It's called HOMMAGE (Haskell Offline
> Music Manipulation And Generation EDSL). I developed this library as a
> successor of a student research project I did in 2005.

I like the name. :-)

> When I developed HOMMAGE, I was motivated by the question if it was
> possible to build an EDSL with the look-and-feel of a sequencer-programm
> like Cubase (for example). Performance was never the first goal. My
> experiences so far are:
> - it works pretty fine, but also pretty slow.
> - it sounds good. no clicks or other unwanted artifacts.
> - it is extremely complicated to work with all those types, classes,
> monadic stuff and so on. A good EDSL should consist of 5 monads at most!
> Otherwise, your brain could get damaged...
> - creating music in the modify-compile-run-listen cycle is very, very
> unproductive.

I encountered that too, and found myself arranging melodies in OctaMED in
the Amiga emulator UAE and then importing them into Haskore. :-) I long
wanted an editor which gives immediate audio feedback when you press a
key. Either the computer keyboard or MIDI input should be used as note
source. But I have not enough experience with an editor and its
configuration. (NEdit, Emacs, Eclipse?) At least I was able to configure
NEdit in a way, that you can mark a variable identifier of a Music object
and then play it via a MIDI file player.

Here are some ideas:
   http://leiffrenzel.de/eclipse/wiki/doku.php?id=eclipsefpfeatures#music