Hi,

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 11:40 AM, John Lato <jwl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been using the CCA package with good results so far.  Several people
> (including myself) appear to have tried performing the CCA transformations
> with a GADT rather than Template Haskell, without much success.  Although
> the code is transformed to normal form, performance isn't good.  I suspect
> that the transformations must be done in a pre-compilation stage in order to
> present the normal form to GHC for the optimizer to produce the best
> results.

I'm also working on this at the moment, and I believe the reason for the
not-so-good performance is the large amount
of variable "juggling" introduced by the CCA transformations (which I guess
GHC will largely optimize out when compiling
via Template Haskell). Unfortunately I don't see how to really solve this
without just-in-time compiling; even if you optimize
the juggling, you still have to synthetise the necessary juggling functions
runtime.

Balazs