On Thu, 7 Feb 2013, alex wrote:

Now I have idea for making this more interesting and practical (for
live music-making, if nothing else), and would like to re-write it all
in Haskell.  Testing type compatibility of expressions is foxing me
though.

For example, say I have (++) and [1,2,3].  I then want to see if a
value of type (Num a => [a]) can be applied to a function of type ([a]

That is, you want to do Haskell type checking in Haskell? I do not understand how Typeable could help here. If you are happy with a simplified Haskell type system you could try the type checker from the Helium project. I have also heard that the Haskell suite shall contain a type checker.