Greetings lurkers.

Up-front: apologies for hijacking the thread :)

Without having spent time looking at the source code for tidal or other
Haskell-based music-making tools (excuse my ignorance already :)) I was
carrying around this question with me for a while. While its quite
technical I think its appropriate to ask here.

Last year I wrote a little music sequencer in Scheme, partly because it
was needed in an installation I was working on with a friend (see
http://sonicrobots.com/ for an impression), and in my sheer boundless
naivete I just went ahead and dove right in, without really considering
that the choice of language was rather poor for the task. I used Chicken
Scheme for this, a really  nice little implementation with quite a rich
ecosystem (and incidentally developed by a guy from my hometown,
Göttingen, yay :)). The main program received messages from a webserver
process in NodeJS (for the SocketIO part) and some simple low-level midi
output code. Once there was a bit of traffic the entire program would
stall, likely caused by blocking IO and/or GC.

The question I have is: how does scheduling software in Haskell
circumvent inaccuracies caused by GC? Is that an issue at all, and/or
how would I approach writing such software with soft real-time
scheduling guarantees in Haskell? I don't know much (yet) about how GC
works in ghc, so its on my todo, but maybe somebody here has a quick and
dirty explanation how it could work.

Anyways, in the end, I used an obvious choice for the installation,
sclang, and it worked great (from a raspi). :)

Best,

Karsten

Quoting alex (2014-04-12 09:02:45)
> Hi all,
>
> I thought some of you might be entertained to see Haskell making music in
> Amsterdam (in Dutch and some English):
>   http://motherboard.vice.com/nl/read/algorave-coden-in-de-club
>
> and in London (in French):
>   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_NQKPH91kM
>
> There's a few more recent interviews etc here:
>   http://yaxu.org/interviews-etc/
>
> Take care
>
> alex
> --