Miguel, thanks for your reply regarding Euterpea.  Although Euterpea works well
enough for real-time MIDI, it is inadequate for doing any substantive real-time
audio.  There are two problems we have faced:  (1) finding a suitable real-time
audio back-end that works across multiple platforms, and (2) optimizing arrows,
on which our sound synthesis work is based, to make them sufficiently fast.
The first problem is a technical issue that I am sure we can resolve with
enough poking around to find the right interface.  The second problem is more
serious.  Originally the plan was to use CCA optimization to make arrows go
fast, but our first attempt at that using Template Haskell ran into problems
(constraints placed on us by TH) that we have not resolved.  We have also tried
using GHC rewrite rules, but also ran into problems.  We have even considered
dropping arrows altogether.  I believe that GHC is fast enough to do real-time
audio, but the overhead of arrows is slowing things down.

In any case, this issue has become a priority for us, and I hope that sometime
in the next six months we will have a good solution.

Best,
Paul Hudak
Yale Haskell Group

--