Hey Hans,

On 19 October 2014 23:49, Hans Höglund <h...@hanshoglund.se> wrote:
> Sorry for a very late reply. I second most of what has already been written
> and also strongly recommend you to go back and read the pioneering work of
> Paul Hudak (already  mentioned by himself) and Conal Elliott (esp. the
> Reactive package) which was extremely influential for me in terms of thinking
> about musical time.
.
Yes I have cited both fine scholars during the development of tidal
and will continue drawing from these. There is something to be said
for thinking outside the standard midi/piano model though, at least
with the kind of music I like to make.

> I can't help but notice there is quite a bit of overlapping between the
> recent "score" libraries (including tidal, music-score, and active). For
> example, we all define a type representing a time span but all give it
> different names (Arc, Span and Era respectively). Maybe in time we will move
> on to some more standardized vocabulary.

Yes 'span' is perhaps the most immediately understandable word. I used
'arc' due to Tidal's focus on cyclic time.

> I noticed the event list Tidal generates for each cycle is isomorphic to my
> score representation – so a Tidal patterns is a score in the reader monad
> (function of the "current" span). This suggest that one could device a more
> elaborate pattern language – perhaps using GADTs as suggested above, and then
> compile this into (Span -> [Event a]), i.e. your current model. That would
> give you the same power, but more possibilities of deconstructing or
> reasoning about the patterns before rendering into functions. Not that there
> is anything wrong with functions – they are just not decomposable.

I don't think I've felt the need to decompose a Tidal pattern,
although I don't doubt there are useful applications for doing so..

> Again, I don't think the relationship between between our score-based
> languages and classical FRP (events and behaviors) has been fully examined.
> This is in part what I hope to continue doing in music-score.

I'd be very interested in such an analysis. I'm not even sure whether
to claim anything about the novelty of Tidal's representation. Someone
once suggested it was..

cheers

alex

--