Simon wrote:

>There's no reason not to use 8 column tab stops, so please don't do it.

Ok, if "it just looks better to me" is no reason, then the following also
holds:

There's no reason not to use braces and semicolons, so please use them.

> but it will be interpreted differently by a Haskell compiler.

That's exactly my point. I consider it harmful, to put it mildly.

>Tab characters are a primitive compression mechanism, nothing more.

Well, layout rule may be regarded as an even more primitive compression
mechanism, since
it saves fewer bytes than tabs. (Remember that "it looks better" was
outlawed before.)

I have the impression that the view is somewhat biased toward the layout.
Nobody seems to care about the trouble that is luring in the long run. You
can't go professional with "use another editor", "change your long
established habits", "don't use diff -b".

Cheers, Ingo

<<application/ms-tnef>>