On 6 Dec 2004, at 18:48, John Goerzen wrote:

Presently, ghc will only link in a .o component of a .a file if symbols
from that .o file are actually used in the final executable.  This is
the motiviation for the split-objs feature; to reduce the size of
executables that use quite large .o files.

In my experience, most .o files are not that large.  Does that agree
with your experience?

If that is the case, then it already is 'smart linking' and I stand corrected. Unless the granularity of the .o files is too large, of course...

Jules