One thing I don't like about this automatic conversion is that it is hidden magic - and could catch people out. Let's say I don't want to use it... How can I do the following
(ie what are the new API calls):

Open a file with a name that is invalid in the current locale (say a zip disc from a computer with a different locale setting).

   Open a file with contents in an unknown encoding.

   What are the new binary API calls for file IO?

What type is returned from 'getChar' on a binary file. Should it even be called getChar? what about getWord8 (getWord16, getWord32 etc...)

Does the encoding translation occur just on the filename or the contents as well? What if I have an encoded filename with binary contents and vice-versa.

   Keean.

(I guess I now have to rewrite a lot of file IO code!)