Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:

Its good for small scripting tasks. Its good for string processing.
I find the dynamic typing a pain.

What's dynamic typing?

I have a lady friend who wants to learn how to program. I just decided to teach her Python for practical reasons:

Its a great first language for people who aren't interested in making a career of programming.

But I do hesitate. I would like to teach her Haskell because I think it's a better language.

Its a better language for people who either have a computer science background or intend to study computer science. I would not inflict a language like Haskell on someone who just wants to get the job done with as little fuss as possible.

Thank you for the info, I really appreciate it. I feel better about Python now.

Given my circunstances, do you think that's a reasonable approach for teaching her how to program?

Teach her Python. If you try and teach her Haskell she will end up programming in visual basic :-).

Heh.

Cheers,
Daniel.