On 07/28/2012 03:35 PM, Thiago Negri wrote:
> [...]
As Monads are used for sequencing, first thing I did was to define the
following data type:

data TableDefinition a = Match a a (TableDefinition a) | Restart

So TableDefinition a is like [(a, a)].

[...]
So, to create a replacement table:

table' :: TableDefinition Char
table' =
         Match 'a' 'b'
         (Match 'A' 'B'
          Restart)

It look like a Monad (for me), as I can sequence any number of
replacement values:

table'' :: TableDefinition Char
table'' = Match 'a' 'c'
          (Match 'c' 'a'
          (Match 'b' 'e'
          (Match 'e' 'b'
           Restart)))

Yes, but monads aren't just about sequencing. I like to see a monad as a generalized computation (e.g. nondeterministic, involving IO, involving state etc). Therefore, you should ask yourself if TableDefinition can be seen as some kind of abstract "computation". In particular, can you "execute" a computation and "extract" its result? as in

  do
    r <- Match 'a' 'c' Restart
    if r == 'y' then Restart else Match 2 3 (Match 3 4 Restart)

Doesn't immediately make sense to me. In particular think about the different possible result types of a TableDefinition computation.

If all you want is sequencing, you might be looking for a Monoid instance instead, corresponding to the Monoid instance of [b], where b=(a,a) here.

 [...]
I'd like to define the same data structure as:

newTable :: TableDefinition Char
newTable = do

But I can't figure a way to define a Monad instance for that. :(

The desugaring of the example looks like this:

Only (>>) is used, but not (>>=) (i.e. results are always discarded). If this is the only case that makes sense, you're probably looking for a Monoid instead (see above)

-- Steffen