Thanks for replies guys. I indeed didn't notice that there are monads and
applicatives used in
this parser. My thought that monadic parsers are more verbose came from
Hutton's paper where the
code is definitely less readable than in example I provided.

There is one more thing that bothers me. It is easy to write a parser that
returns Nothing when
parsing fails. But I can't figure out a way to add meaningful error messages so
that the user
knows where did the parsing fail. I experimented with using Either so that I
can use Left to pass
error messages but this turned out to be inflexible and clutered the code. I
will be greatful for
any ideas.

Janek