Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:

Oh no! Converting LaTeX to HTML is terrible, in my opinion. One reason for this is that LaTeX isn't a markup language and provides a mixture of logical and visual macros.

Conversely, I've occasionally tried to convert stuff - I think a TMR issue was one example, and occasionally HTML documents - to PDF via LaTeX. Unfortunately, people used a variety of ways to get the desired look and feel, and it's very difficult to do the conversion automatically (or 'unsupervised' as we like to call it here :-).

The ideal is to have a simple, rigid, semantic markup in the source document. While I dislike XML at least as much as the next guy, it is probably the best choice for this. Ideally, the DTD should be a lot simpler than DocBook, but OTOH, DocBook comes with a lot of conversion methods for free.

-k