The basic problem is that the University has a strict policy
that academic staff must not have root access on any machine
that is connected to the University network.  I was given an
administrator account so that I could resume the printer and
install (some) stuff, but /Developer is owned by root, and I
will be given root access on the Greek Calends.

I would have thought that many organisations would have similar
policies.

On 12/04/2013, at 2:44 AM, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> (Newer Xcode should actually complain and tell you to run the removal script
> on startup, because its presence can even break Xcode under some
> circumstances.)

4.6.1 was the latest available in March when I installed it,
and it _didn't_ complain or tell me to run any removal script.